Ok, but seriously, how the hell is it the end of January already!? All my resolutions are shot to shit! Ha-ha - Just kidding ;)
In all seriousness, this month has been absolutely crazy. I only spent 15 full days in Philly this month. I was gone for half of the month! Aside from vacations or trips where that kind of travel is planned, I have never had such a crazy busy month of travel.
But enough about me. Welcome to the monthly round ups! Each month I'll list out some cool things I've read, watched, discovered etc. to share with all of you. And if you've discovered something awesome, I'd love to hear about it! Happy discovering!
- Revisionist History - This podcast by Malcolm Gladwell (author of Tipping Point, Blink, and others) takes moments in history and revisits them through a different lens. Everything from higher education, to Wilt Chamberlin, to how we collected intelligence in Saigon is covered. I've always enjoyed Gladwell and he doesn't disappoint in this podcast.
My Favorite: Episode 7: Hallelujah - A look at the different types of genius in the world by examining Leonard Choen's (well, Jeff Buckley) "Hallelujah."
P.S- Follow me on Goodreads to find out what I'm currently reading and past reviews!
- Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins- Ok, ok, I know. I am sooo late to the game on this one, but it was worth the wait. Unlike Gone Girl where I guessed the big plot twist early on, and then subsequently had issues with some smaller plot points (how do you plan for a year and then let people so easily steal your money!?) I couldn't with this one. Girl On The Train kept me guessing up until about the last 40 pages. Loved it.
- Men Explain Things To Me by Rebecca Solnit - Seven relatively short essays with a near perfect combination of wit, humor, statistics, and thoughtful observation. For someone who has read an ok amount of feminist writings, this book caused me to look at the "same old issues" in a new and fresh way. I like books that make me think, and this one certainly made me re-examine how I view the world.
Music On Repeat
- Let Go - Frou Frou - This is an oldie but I can't stop listening to this song
- Cleopatra - The Lumineers - Love this whole album
- The Sound - Matt Epp ft Faouzia - This song has a John Myer meets The Head and the Heart
- Pretty In Pain - Diane Birch - This song reminds me of something Stevie Nicks would do
Around The Internet
- Robs 10k Friends - Over this past weekend I finally got to meet and become a part of Robs 10k Friends project. I was #688! If you are in the Philly area, definitely message him (follow him on insta) and be a part of this cool project. For all the shit news we have in the world, this project is a welcome happy spot.
- 6 Simple Questions To Set 2017 Intentions - I shared this on my New Years post, but I think it's worth sharing again. I love the idea of answering these questions and those answers guiding your year.
- The First Date or The Art of Termination - These are both written by a friend of mine from college. I never fail to laugh out loud hard at his writing. Follow him on Medium.
- What So Many People Don't Get About The U.S. Working Class - This article was published right after the election and helped me understand how we got here. I was heartbroken after the election. I cried. I was in a fog, but this was the first article that attempted to give some logical reasoning to how this could have happened.
- The Arrival Fallacy: How I Never Found Happiness - An interesting article (one that I could relate to a lot) about how you'll never be happy if you have the mentality of "when X happens I'll be happy."
- America You Look Like An Arab Country Right Now - Just...read.